Thursday, September 18, 2008

Super Sized

I went to the doctor's yesterday for my monthly checkup. Usually I am pretty excited about these visits because it means the doc gets to check on the little bub and tell me he is okay. He is still doing great, don't get me wrong, I on the other hand am not. First the nurse tells me I have gained nine whole pounds since my last visit which is enough to bum me out to the max all by itself. Not that I'm a total chunker, it's just not something any girl wants to hear, ever. Then they tell me I am slightly anemic and have to take daily iron pills to get what I am obviously lacking in my diet. It didn't sound so bad until they told me that the pills tend to cause nausea and constipation. Great! My fave! Then on top of that I didn't pass the one hour glucose screening test for gestational diabetes so I have to go in for a three hour test in which they will draw blood five times within those three hours. My arms are gonna be hurtin! I'm really worried that I wont pass that test either. I don't keep up the best diet in the world. Anyway, back to the doctor's visit... So then we had an ultrasound to get some 3D pictures of the little tyke. Unfortunately we didn't get any because he was in there with his arm up over his face. Like he knew we were watching and he just couldn't be bothered. I am pretty sure he was taking a nap though because he wasn't moving and by the looks of his profile his eyes were closed. So the doctor decided to take matters into her own hands and tried to get him to wake up and move by jabbing me in the belly with the ultrasound wand. That was a fun little treat for me and the baby. Well, it made him move but not in the direction we wanted. It also did not succeed in getting him to lower his arm. I don't blame him. If was being ambushed by the outside with an unknown weapon I would be shielding my face too. So the doctor gave up and said we would try again next month. She did say though that by what she could see he had no noticeable facial defects. So that's always nice to know. She measured him and told us that he weighs about 2lbs and 15oz. I'm not sure if that is normal or not because she didn't say. But the book said that during the third trimester he is supposed to gain about a pound a week. I really hope he doesn't though because that would mean I might end up with a thirteen pound baby. I really think I would die. So maybe I should stop eating all the carbohydrates and junk I usually eat and start eating my meats and veggies so that I don't end up with some monster sized baby.

No comments: