Tuesday, October 14, 2008

Trash or Treasure?

I can't believe it's been so long since my last post! This month has been super busy for me and Tim. Well, mostly for Tim. He has been working his butt off lately taking on an extra side job, watching the neighbor's pets while they were out of town and working his regular forty hour a week job. Not to mention having to come home to an overly hormonal pregnant wife. Someone should give him an award or something.

Well, I went in for the three hour glucose test a couple weeks ago. It wasn't as horrible as I thought it would be. The drink was carbonated this time and it was a lemon lime flavor instead of the fruit punch one I had to drink for the one hour test. The worst part wasn't even the five blood draws, the worst part was waiting for it to be over. Anyway, then they called me the next week to tell me that my blood sugar levels were still elevated after the test was over and that I needed to schedule an appointment with a nurse to go over what my diet should be. Then the next week I had a regular doctors appointment to check up on the baby and have a 3D ultrasound done. Well, we waited and waited but we never got to have our check up done because the doctor got called to the delivery room to deliver someones baby. So we rescheduled for the same day as the appointment to meet with the dietitian thinking we would kill two birds with one stone. Well, today was the day we were to have both appointments, the first being with the doctor, the second being with the dietitian. Once we got there we were directed to the ultrasound room and we waited and waited. Then after a very long time the nurse comes in to tell us that the doctor was still in surgery and it would still be a while. Then I happened to glance at the clock and realized that we had already missed our appointment with the dietitian. So I told the nurse and she said she would see if we might still be able to make that appointment. Well, we didn't because she was already on to her next appointment but she gave us the packets to read about gestational diabetes and the diet plan and food pyramid I should be following. Then the nurse tells us that the doctor is still going to be a while and suggested we go to lunch and have them call us when she gets out of surgery and since I don't have a life and Tim didn't mind playing hooky from work we agreed. So we go out to lunch and as soon as we order our food guess who calls! Yup, you guessed it! So I tell the nurse we just ordered our food and we will be there as soon as possible. So we eat fast and rush back to the hospital only to have to wait another fifteen minutes for our doctor. But finally she comes and we proceed with the check up. We still didn't get a good photo of the little guy because apparently he likes to lay with his arms up over his head and face. But the doctor said he looked very healthy and he was already doing the motions of breathing which is a good sign. She also said he weighs about four pounds which is in the lower part of the normal range and that from what she could tell she isn't very worried about my gestational diabetes because the baby is not on the large side and my fluids are at the right amount. So all is well with me and baby. Which is all I can ask for. I can't believe I've only got about seven more weeks left of pregnancy! It sure has gone by really fast. I wonder if I'll miss being pregnant. I sure am not going to miss all this extra weight! Hopefully it will come off fast.

So anyway, in other news... a week or so ago my husband calls me after he gets off work and says he has picked us up a couch and recliner. I asked him how and where he managed to do this and he replied by telling me that he found them for free on the side of the road. Now, if you know me at all you know that I'm not the kind of girl who picks things up off the side of the road. Mostly because for the most part the things people leave out on the side of the road are pretty nasty and not worth taking, otherwise they would have sold them. So I ask Tim if they were in good condition or not and he says yes they are and that in his opinion they were actually pretty nice looking. This did nothing to comfort me because I know Tim well enough to know that his idea of "nice looking" is not my idea of "nice looking". But what could I do? He was already on his way home with his find. So he gets home and unloads the furniture in our living room. Well, the couch and recliner were pretty large which I could live with, they were also made from this fake leather material and an awful shade of green, which I cannot live with. So of course we get in this big fight over whether it was a good idea for him to have gotten this stuff without even letting me look at it first. He tells me he doesn't think its "that bad" which is a step down from "nice looking" but I'm obviously not winning the battle yet. Anyway, we compromise and decide that I will sleep on it and give it another chance the next day and if I still hate it then he will get rid of it. So the next day while he is at work I stand in the living room for what seems like hours staring at the ugly furniture. Finally my feet get tired from all the standing and fuming and I sat down on the couch. And you know what? It really wasn't that bad, as long as I wasn't looking at it. So I start to think, what can I do to turn this situation around? And then it hits me... slipcovers. So we bought some comfy tan slipcovers for both the couch and recliner as well as some cute pillows I found at Ross. And I have to tell you, the living room has never looked better! So I guess what I learned is that one man's trash really is another man's treasure.

No comments: