Thursday, September 11, 2008

Close Encounter

So today was an interesting day. I set out to get some much needed grocery shopping done with the help of my friend Dave. I like to get the shopping done when Tim isn't around for two reasons... 1. So he doesn't try to buy every single junk food item in the store and 2. so he isn't complaining the whole time that he just got off work and he doesn't feel like walking around the store. So me and Dave set off around two in the afternoon. We hit the Costco and then the regular grocery store in town. Then we decided to go back to the house to drop off the stuff that needed to be refrigerated before we went out to lunch and then finished the rest of the shopping at Walmart. So after we bring all of the crap back to the house we drive out through this little neighborhood to get to the main road that goes back into town. As I am driving I notice that there are middle school aged kids walking up the sidewalks with their backpacks and books. Obviously school was out so I slowed down to about twenty miles per hour, which is five miles an hour under the speed limit in that area, so as not to hit any of the kiddies walking around. Anyway, so as we are driving on this road, I notice we are about to pass the last of the kids, what I do not notice is that they have a dog with them. I didn't notice this because they were passing behind one of those community mail boxes that take up the whole sidewalk so my view of their canine companion was obstructed. If I had been able to see him then I probably would have noticed that he was walking along side these kids without a leash on. But since I didn't even know he was there you can imagine my surprise when the dog decided to run at full speed across the road to get to a little critter that was on the other side. He just seemed to come out of nowhere. But since I was going so slow anyway it was pretty easy for me to slam on my breaks but the dog still hit my car a little. Don't worry, he was fine. Just a little shook up. Then again so was I. So after that happened the kids that I guess own the dog ran out into the street to see if he was okay, which he was. I still asked them if he was okay and if they needed any help but they wouldn't talk to me. They just glared at me like I was some kind of murderer. Like I had WANTED to hit their dog. So I finaly just gave up and drove away. The moral of the story: DON'T LET YOUR DOG OUT WITHOUT A LEASH!! Or else I just might hit him.

1 comment:

Carissa said...

I think I started writing a comment for this and then got side tracked...but anyway, I can't believe that those kids did that. Don't you just love that parents let their kids take their dog out and then the kids think that they are good enough at controlling their dog that it doesn't need a leash..until it runs into THE DANG STREET! UGH. I'm glad that you didn't get hurt or anything....DUMB KIDS!